As many of you know and have already commented, we didn't get clearance from the US Embassy to travel tomorrow. We are heartbroken, crushed, whatever word you want to use... Yesterday I was drinking orange juice from a "Nightmare Before Christmas" cup, and winced to Brian that this was our reality.
There really isn't any good explanation from the Embassy as to "why", which makes it harder to understand and accept. In numerous emails from our case manager, we were told a number of things:
- The Embassy is not ready for you.
- Every family in our travel group has to have all their new documents submitted before any family will be granted another Embassy date.
- This is affecting every adoption agency in Ethiopia, not just ours. Therefore, countless families Christmas dreams have been affected.
- This is unprecedented in Ethiopia, so we're not sure what's to come.
- Our agency has been in contact with the Department of State and Children's Affairs in DC this week, and they aren't providing firm or specific answers for any of our cases.
WHAT'S NEXT? Our case manager is requesting that the US Embassy in Addis Ababa reviews our case on Monday morning independently from the other families and confirms for us a January 12th Embassy date [the next date possibility]. She's hoping that the "all families in the travel group need all their documents before any family is issued a court date" is some misunderstanding. The Embassy has NEVER worked like that in the past. For now we wait. Again. [NOTE: Our agency's office is closed until January 3rd, but we may still hear word before then.]
HOW ARE WE? Ugh... Awful? Ok? Devastated? Angry? Confused? Hopeful? Trusting? Missing Judah and Addise? Concerned about what's next? Longing? YES to all the above.
Honestly, we're a bit shell shocked and emotionally exhausted. I've cried rivers this week. We're gonna go dark for a little while and regain some strength and perspective. Thank you so much for your prayers. We've heard some of you have been fasting for us. We've read innumerable texts and messages. We've totally felt carried by our community. For that, we are grateful.
We'll keep you posted as we find something out.