Well, we are finally beginning the incredibly exciting and slightly overwhelming task of registering for Lil' A and Baby T!!!!!! I was beginning to wonder if this day would ever come? We still haven't figured out exactly what colors the room will be, but it needs to be pseudo-gender neutral since our son and daughter will be sharing a room. I'm leaning toward this color combo [sea blue and mustard yellow], but our design all-star friends say bedding comes first...
A few guiding philosophy thoughts:
- Budget :: We are definitely budget conscious! When our process is all done [approx. $35,000+], we aren't about to spend several thousand on their room, furniture, clothes, and baby "needs". Our parenting costs are just beginning after their home!
- Multi-Functional :: We definitely want items that will serve several purposes and will last us for both Lil' A and Baby T. Since we live in a 1100 sq. ft. condo, they'll be sharing a bedroom, and drive 2 Civics, we want to conserve space make the most of the STUFF!!
- Hand-Me-Downs :: We are VERY open to these! Our only request is that they are gently used, items we really need and "fit" us. We respectfully reserve the right to decline offers. :) We've already been offered a few items and are soooooo grateful.
- Ages and Stages :: Lil' A will be about 2 1/2 when he finally gets home. Baby T will be close to 1 year old. That eliminates a lot of stuff for newborns!
Specific Nursery and "Stuff" Needs:
- Bedding :: We are thinking about having a friend sew Lil' A's bedding and finding something complimentary for Baby T's crib. We want something that will work for him for several years! Any fabric or bedding websites that you'd really recommend?
- Furniture :: We are planning on having a crib, twin size bed, and dresser. Not sure if we need anymore than that?!? Thoughts?
- Closet Space :: We have a really huge closet that could hold a dresser and lots of storage. We want to maximize that space! Do you have organizational or room design ideas for that?
- Strollers and Car Seats :: Enough options online to make me nauseous. What to avoid or must have?
- Splurge or Save :: It would also be really helpful to know what items are worth spending the extra money on and what items can really be penny pinched.
Of course, other ideas and suggestions are welcomed! Feel free to post your comments or email me. This process reminds me of registering for our wedding and haphazardly wandering around stores shooting our gun at random items. We've paid for it over the last 9 years as we've realized what we really like, need, and want in our home. I'm hoping to avoid some of those travesties this time around!! Thanks for the help!!!