Paperwork hell. That's the easiest descriptor. It's so much work to adopt a baby. I think it's easier to just make one (unless you've had infertility stuff like we have, then who knows what's easier).
We're in the home study portion of our process. We've decided to go with Dillon International for our home study. Christian World Adoption doesn't do home studies in CA because they're based in SC/NC. Dillon is an amazing organization, and the SoCal offices were started by another Newsong couple, Charles and Hedy Lee. We've already been SO BLESSED by Dillon, the Lee's, and our home study provider, Rachel Lee.
Right now, we're completing our home study paperwork so we can do the interviews. Here's a brief look into what the home study looks like...
- Signed letter saying we want to do our home study through Dillon
- Signed and notarized agreement and check
- Application & Info sheet - this includes super personal info about our families, finances, and relationship
- 4 page autobiography on each of us
- Birth certificates
- Marriage License
- Letter from our doctors stating we are in good health
- Letter verifying our employment
- Letter of good standing from our bank
- Insurance verification letter
- Copy of our 2008 tax returns
- Copy of last 3 months of bank statements
- Completed financial form
- 5 References from friends
INTERVIEWS: this is the fun part! Rachel Lee, also a Newsong member, will be doing our interview process. She'll complete 4 interviews: 1 with each of us, 1 together, and some other one. Then, Rachel will write our report to approve us for adoption.
Rachel is a gift to us. Her husband used to work for World Vision, so I knew of them by reputation only for the past couple years. One of the many reasons she's a gift to us is that she has her doctorate in attachment disorders. So, once Baby Ethiopia arrives home, Rachel will be able to give us expert guidance and support as we assimilate her into our family. Rachel will also do our post-adoption supervision (required by Ethiopia for 1 year).
At the 2 month landmark of this process, I'm grateful for Dillon, the Lee's, Rachel, and that our process is continuing to move forward!!